Wednesday, October 3, 2012

I had too much time this morning...

... So I made breakfast. Not just any breakfast, but this breakfast:

Picture taken with Instagram
Above is my mushroom, onion, and brie omelet with rosemary breakfast potatoes. Best part? It actually tasted good.

The potatoes were super easy because I made my favorite rosemary potatoes the other day, so I was halfway there. The original rosemary potatoes were just sliced (about 3/4 cm thick) Yukon potato slices, drizzled with olive oil and sprinkled with rosemary and kosher salt. I put them in the oven at about 350 F for around 45 minutes, flipping them halfway. I say "around" 45 minutes pictures I honestly didn't time it. I just waited for them to be lightly browned and soft enough.

This morning I took the leftovers, cut them up smaller, and browned them further with vegetable oil in my amazing wok pan*. I also added some very small pieces of onion, some onion powder and some garlic powder. I am making a solid effort to use spices more, mostly because I have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to spices, so I'm going for it trial and error.

My pictures of the breakfast potatoes are all incredibly ugly and cannot be posted for fear of embarrassing the blogger world. My apologies. Close your eyes and picture breakfast potatoes... Yep, that's them!

The omelet was only slightly more complicated. I microwaved some onions and mushrooms with a bit of water, then added them into my wok with some oil. I believe this means I sautéed them. (Checks wikipedia.) Yes, I sautéed them.


Then I added a mixture of egg, onion powder, garlic powder, thyme, and paprika. Why these spices? Because that's what I have (along with cinnamon and rosemary, which I didn't add).


I cooked this on medium heat (because last time I burnt my omelette a bit) until it was basically cooked through, pushing the edges toward the middle and tilting the pan to allow the liquid to fill the gaps. Does that even makes sense? Sometime I take a video of it. A friend taught me the technique, and I think it makes me hardcore. Then I added brie slices and covered the pan until it started to melt. Not going to lie, I don't think it looks super attractive.


I was super excited when it slid beautifully from the pan onto the plate of potatoes (which, because I always use my wok, had been microwaved because they were cold by now... I should get a second wok).

Along side my delicious breakfast I had coffee from my new french press. What is a french press?

This is a french press
I got a french press because, while at Target, I recalled a friend telling me about another way to make coffee beyond the traditional coffee maker. This technique is called "cold press coffee". Cold press coffee is supposed to be less acidic, and the reason I don't own a coffee maker is because coffee is simply too acidic for me. Therefore, I try not to drink it often.

Now, you wil notice that "french press coffee" and "cold press coffee" are not the same. In fact, one entire word is different. You could make some kind of joke about the French being a cold people, which I hear is sometimes true, but I won't make that joke because I'm not that funny (note that I mention the potential joke just so you don't think I couldn't have come up with it myself). Anyway, you can skip the preceding sentence because it was useless, but I don't like editing, so it will stay there. 

Upon seeing a french press, I though "Oh! The other kind of coffee!" Nope. French press coffee is, if anything, stronger than regular coffee, and is not less acidic like its cold friend. You put course coffee grounds into the press, followed by hot water, and let it sit for 5 minutes. Then you push the plunger-thing down lightly until it has strained the grounds out of the coffee. Lastly, just pour and enjoy. I add a bunch of creamer/sweetener because I think coffee tastes bad, but I appreciate its. I couldn't find course coffee grounds, didn't know you could have coffee shops make them for you (who knew, right?), and therefor bought a small coffee grinder as well. Yes, Target, you win. Bravo. 

All of that is just to say that I very much enjoy my french pressed coffee in all of its acidic glory. But, seriously, it does taste better than "normal" coffee, and the total cost (with the grinder) was about as much as a cheap coffee maker, so I am totally able to rationalize this one.

Last thing for right now:
I was under the interpretation that oats were not gluten-free. Apparently, unless you have celiac, oats are pretty much fine. What!? What!? The options are endless. I don't even know what to do with myself. Thank you to my friend, blogger of Le Bon Petit Chou, for clearing this up for me! I will hopefully be making wonderful granola for my next project!

*I love this pan. It's pretty small, but I basically use it regardless of what I'm making. I even made the omelet in it even though the majority of the pan isn't flat. It worked out since it was a pretty small omelet.

No comments:

Post a Comment